CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135590
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135590.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:47:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 22070 39274

Details

AIREBOROUGH TOWN STREET SE 23 NW LS 19 (north side) Rawdon 10B/21 Church of St. Peter 19.10.1962 GV II

Church. Tower dated 1706 (but possibly earlier); otherwise late C19. Coursed squared sandstone (tower), and punched dressed blocks, stone slate roof. Nest tower, nave with south aisle, chancel. Square unbuttressed 3-stage tower, with chamfered plinth, has on south side a large 2-centred arched and deeply-chamfered doorway with square headed plank door, a datestone over the apex with raised lettering " TL ", a narrow rectangular 1706 window to the 2nd stage, a large clockface above this, and set-back 3rd stage with 2-centred-arched double-chamfered belfry window of 2 cusped louvred lights, under a hoodmould, a drip-mould with 2 gargoyles, and embattled parapet concealing a low pyramidal roof with weathervane; west side has 2 recessed round-headed windows with hollow spandrels and chamfered square- headed surrounds, but is otherwise similar. Buttressed full-height 4-bay aisle has 4 cross-gables containing 2-centred-arched windows of 2 cusped lights with multifoils in the heads. North side of nave has similar windows. Chancel has a 3-light east window with 2 quatrefoils and a trefoil in the head.

Interior: aisle arcade of cylindrical columns with foliated caps, double- chamfered arches; scissor-braced roof.

Listing NGR: SE2207039274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342282
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09873/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Hughes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].