MARKET CROSS BESIDE SOUTH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST RICARIUS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135611

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS BESIDE SOUTH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST RICARIUS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET CROSS BESIDE SOUTH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST RICARIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:12:56.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS BESIDE SOUTH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST RICARIUS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Aberford

National Grid Reference: SE 43327 37127

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABERFORD MAIN STREET SE43NW LS25 (west side) 2/9 Market Cross beside south gate to Church 3.2.67 of St. Ricarius (Formerly listed as Market Cross)

GV II

Former market cross. Probably C17, relocated and restored in 1911. Magnesian limestone. Two circular steps, a square pedestal brought to an octagon, a shaft in 2 parts, square in section but with stop-chamfered corners, and a moulded square cap to a top with 4 arched faces, all these with carving (front and back faces have crosses, others are indecipherable); set into the bottom of the shaft, a lettered brass plaque stating that the cross was removed during plague in 1644, and restored by public subscription to commemorate the coronation of King George V in 1911.

Listing NGR: SE4332737127

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342226

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing