Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135630

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: CROW TREES, LEEDS ROAD


Ordnance survey map of CROW TREES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 05:36:36.


Statutory Address: CROW TREES, LEEDS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 20977 39558


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


AIREBOROUGH LEEDS ROAD SE24SE LS19 (north-east side), Rawdon 6/169 Crow Trees - - II

House now old peoples' home, 1628 for Christopher Coates, extended 1670 for Samuel Coates, resited and rebuilt c1825-26, altered later C19 and C20. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. H-shaped plan north-east range shorter than south-west range. 2 storeys, south-west range with attic; 3 bay parallel ranges with short link block. Double-chamfered mullion windows, transomed to north-east range, transomes removed from south-west range. South-west elevation: chamfered plinth, 1st-floor string, both returning; three 5-light windows to ground floor; on 1st floor windows of 4, 2, 5 and 6 lights. Between bays 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rise gables, each having oculi flanking a datestone, left one incised SC 1670 (Simon Coates), right one with raised lettering "CC 1628" (Christopher Coates), and a stopped 3-light window with stepped hoodmould. Gables have shaped kneelers, ashlar coping and finials. End stacks, that to left external, with strings and cornices; another stack to ridge between bays 2 and 3. Projecting from right side is C19 single-storye porch with chamfered, quoined, triangular-headed entrance. Nort-east elevation: doorway between bays 1 and 2 has moulded, quoined, bi- cusped architrave, the lintel stone also bi-cusped, and a chamfered 2-light overlight above; inserted window to right a 3-light window beyond and a 2- light window (mullion removed) to left. On 1st floor windows of 3, 3 and 2 lights; moulded kneelers ashlar coping; stacks to left end and to rear roof pitch on right south-east elevation: link block has tall stair window of 3 cusped lights and another of 2 cusped lights to 1st floor right (both C19). North-west elevation: north-east range has a 5-light window with hoodmould to each floor the upper lights round-arched; south-west range has 3-light windows to ground floor, windows of 2 and 3 lights above and 2-light attic window. Interior: Stair hall has: late C17-style oak panelling with raised and fielded pane Doric pilasters and bolection-moulded architraves to doors; open-well closed-string newel stair with turned balusters and ramped handrail; stained-glass stair window. Panelled north-west ground-floor room has C18 style.

Listing NGR: SE2097739558


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342273

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing