CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1135702
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135702.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:22:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pitton and Farley
National Grid Reference:
SU 21253 31569

Details

PITTON AND FARLEY CHURCH LANE, Pitton SU 23 SW 7/118 Church of St Peter 23.3.60 II*

Anglican parish church. C12, early C14 and restored 1878-1880 by Ewan Christian. Flint with greensand dressings, tiled roofs, copper to aisle. Nave with north aisle and vestry at right angles. South porch raised as tower. Two light C14 windows to nave, restored, with 3-light intersecting tracery west window. Rectangular windows to chancel with a C19 3-light east window. Porch has a shouldered 2-centred arch with hollow chamfer, and benchmark. Bell chamber over, C19, with single lancets and a pyramidal roof with wind vane of 1801. Inner door late C12, a round arch with bowtell hood. Interior: Nave has C19 polygonal trussed rafter roof. North arcade of 3 bays on round columns and capitals, all C19. C12 capital built in to east wall of nave. Chancel arch on corbels. Rere- arches to windows in C13 style, possibly reproducing predecessors. Open trussed rafter roof. Medieval piscina bowl set in sill of south east window. Reredos of glazed tiles. Glass: east window, 1880 by C.E. Kempe. Fittings: Font, C12 bowl with double twisted band, set on later column. Pulpit, oak, octagonal, C19. Clergy desks and choir stalls with open carved foils. Sanctuary rail on brass supports. Monuments: Incised slate tablet of Great War. Brass, reset in chancel wall, to Edward Zouche, died 1580.

Listing NGR: SU2125331569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320013
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08264/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret U. Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].