BANWELL ABBEY THE CLOISTERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135732

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: BANWELL ABBEY, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: THE CLOISTERS, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BANWELL ABBEY
THE CLOISTERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 00:36:21.

Location

Statutory Address: BANWELL ABBEY, EAST STREET

Statutory Address: THE CLOISTERS, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Banwell

National Grid Reference: ST 40022 59136

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 45 NW BANWELL EAST STREET (north side)

5/20 Banwell Abbey and The Cloisters 9.2.61 G.V. II*

2 houses, formerly one bishop's residence constructed within or on site of monastic foundation. C14 and perhaps earlier, C15 and major reworkings in early and late C19. (Hans Price, 1870). Rubble, ashlar, slate roofs. Main block; 6 windows between buttresses, 3 storeys, 4 in west tower, middle bay breaks forward; mixed fenestration some 2 light mullioned under pointed dripmoulds, some square headed; some sashes some casements; the whole battlemented, central pediment bears crozier, end buttresses surmounted by finials; 3 stage polygonal tower to. left with single pointed lights gargoyles and battlements; parallel range has 2 embattled gables, a round headed entrance under an embattled, gabled porch and 2 light windows under drips; in east gable is a substantial fragment of a large perpendicular window. Various single storey rear outbuildings, all gabled. Interior is a superb Victorian pastiche with a double height hall with large dog leg staircase, ornate plastered rooms with flat arch fireplaces, some of C16 origin. Former chapel and cloister; to right (east)of main block the former chapel now has 2 storeys, at east end is a 3 light window of the C14 above C20 plain chamfered surround windows, to south an embattled tower with single lights and a porch in the re-entrant angle. C19 single storey wing which runs north from former chapel has cusped 3 light windows and a pointed arch entrance below battlements and between buttresses with finials. Interior contains remnants of the cloister walk with 2 light C15 cusped windows. (Source: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4002259136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33358

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing