Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1135775
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Aldworth Road, Compton

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:40:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Aldworth Road, Compton

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Compton
National Grid Reference:
SU 52625 79670

Details

SU 57 NW 9/38

COMPTON ALDWORTH ROAD (north side) Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas

24.11.66

II*

Church. C13 tower, 1850 rebuilding of nave and chancel, 1905 north aisle. Main rebuilding by William Brown of Reading, north aisle by J.O. Scott. Flint with Bath stone dressings to tower, knapped flint with Bath stone dressings to remainder; tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, tower, north aisle, vestry, south porch. Plinth, buttresses and gable parapets to nave and chancel; plinth, angle buttresses and crenellated parapet to tower.

South elevation: to left: tower of two stages with two-light louvre in top stage and two-light plate traceried window on string course; to centre: nave of four bays with lancet windows and south porch with moulded and chamfered two-centred arched opening to left; to right: chancel with central doorway of two-centred arch on quarter columns under drip mould flanked by cusped ogee headed single-light windows.

West elevation: to left: north aisle, gabled with three light window; to right: tower with two-light louvre at top and three-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads to lights over doorway of four-centred arch under square drip mould with carved heads at springing and scutcheons in the spandrels.

Interior: plastered; nave: four bay arch braced collar roof, arcade to north aisle of two centred arches on moulded, chamfered octagonal columns with undercut caps. Chancel: three bay scissor truss roof; re-set piscina with trefoiled ogee arch on south wall; re-set easter sepulchre with quatrefoil carving under four-centred arch on north wall; chancel arch two-centred moulded and chamfered arch on thin half-columns with undercut caps. North aisle: four bay barrel vaulted timber roof.

Fittings: carved and painted timber reredos and linenfold panelling by Nathaniel Westlake; late C18 hexagonal timber pulpit with carved flowers and fruit round raised and fielded panels; font at west end of north aisle plain stone tub with C15 carved timber cover.

Monuments: re-set brass by pulpit with man and woman of circa 1500 inscribed to "Richard Pygott and Alys his wyf"; on the south wall C18 marble obelisk with urn on a moulded base inscribed to the Puckridge family.

Listing NGR: SU5262579670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39893
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 19
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 120
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12337/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David S. Biggin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].