This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1135810

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Locking

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33388

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 35 NE LOCKING THE GREEN

4/49 Parish Church of St. Augustine 9.2.61 - II*

Parish church (Anglican). Late C14/early C15, 1814/16, 1833, some later restoration. Rubble, mainly rendered, plinths brought to courses, ashlar buttresses, freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel, north vestry. 3 stage Perpendicular tower, diagonal buttresses with weathered setbacks, polygonal south east stair turret with octagonal cone cap surmounted by ball finial and weathervane; first stage has west door, richly moulded arch between attached crocketed shafts and 3 light window under heavily moulded dripmould with head stops, one grotesque, which rises into second stage; all sides of second stage have 2 light blank windows under moulded drip which is part of string under next stage; third stage has paired 2 light belfry windows with outer lights blank between attached shafts which rise from string below; trefoil pierced parapet between crocketed pinnacles. Nave and north aisle of 1814/16; 3 bays, 3 northern 3 light flat pointed windows with flat Rickmanesque tracery. Plain gabled south porch has corbelled, coped raised verges, as nave. 2 bay chancel of 1833; to south two 2 light windows with square heads under drips on either side of moulded pointed priest's door under dripmould with decorated stops; diagonal buttresses with date; 2 light pointed east window, slit window above; all chancel tracery as (copy of?) nave. Later lean-to vestry in return of chancel and north aisle; above which on east end of north aisle a lead hopper head which reads: CH.WARD/CHAS.KNOWLES BUILDER/1814/R.D. CHALLEN GER/PLUMBER. Interior; triple chamfered tower arch; stone screen with 4 cusped panels and cusped inner west door of 1816; 2 Tuscan columns on tall octagonal plinths between nave and north aisle; moulded chancel arch of 3 hollow waves; chancel has windows and doors as described above and a north vestry door and embattled wallplate; there is also ornate and varied panelling in chancel of C20 date. Fittings; erpendicular stone pulpit with 2 light bays with tracery between crocketed finials, on octagonal shaft which corbels out twice; above quatrefoil frieze and foliate cornice; gaudily painted. Cll/C12 font, square, 3 sides have ornate strapwork, south only chevron, at each corner figures whose outstretched arms meet; C19 work has damaged heads and added 4 neo-Romanesque shafts at corners and a massive central shaft; stands on plain plinth in tower. 5 brass chandeliers of 2 tiers. Porch contains oak beam from belfry which reads: John Plumley Gent/Lord of the Man. 1631. (Sources: N. Pevsner Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958; D. Wilson : Locking Church 1971).

Listing NGR: ST3635459637

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Wilson, D, Locking Church, (1971)

National Grid Reference: ST 36354 59637

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 09:25:32.

End of official listing