THE OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135851

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:34:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cholmondeley

National Grid Reference: SJ 54576 51657

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

c SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK

1/24 The Old Hall

12.1.67

GV II

House, circa 1707 by William Smith of Warwick for the first Earl of Cholmondeley. The Hall incorporated an Elizabethan building but in 1801 the structure was reduced to the size of the present dwelling. Whitened brick with slate roof. 2 storeys 3 bays with one-bay, lower, 2-storey wing to east. The central entrance is a rebated 6-panel door in a moulded doorcase with plain rectangular overlight. The opening is flanked by engaged Roman Doric columns, without bases, which support a gabled, slated, hood by means of brackets fixed to the column faces. Projecting brick bands at first floor and eaves levels. Large recessed sashes with glazing bars, stone sills and segmental stone heads at ground floor and with stone eared architraves and flat heads at first floor. The opening over the entrance is filled. The east wing has two-light flush casements with stone sills and segmental heads. The west gable has a filled lunette above a partly filled opening with eared architraves. The north front has 2-bay gable set forward with pairs of sashes under segmental heads, and sashes with eared architraves at first floor . Stone band at first floor and brick eaves band with filled lunette in the gable. Interior: Panelled window shutters and door linings. Six-panel doors, some with fielded panels.

The Old Hall at its full extent is illustrated in Country Life 19 July 1973

Listing NGR: SJ5457451660

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56894

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 19 July, (1973)

End of official listing