BELL INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135882

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: BELL INN, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELL INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 17:19:41.

Location

Statutory Address: BELL INN, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Waltham St. Lawrence

National Grid Reference: SU 82968 76910

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALTHAM ST LAWRENCE THE STREET SU 8276-8376 (east side)

20/6 Bell Inn 25.3.55 G.V. II*

Inn, now public house. c1400, altered late C16. Timber frame, part painted brick and part painted render infill; old tile gabled roof. Wealden plan with one framed bay hall and two, 2-framed bay cross wings. The left hand wing contains the cross passage. 2 storeys and cellar. Chimney on right gable end. Leaded casement windows, some probably early C18. Road (west) front: symmetrical. Centre section recessed with coved eaves and large braces to front wall plate; jettied cross wings underbuilt in brick. Centre section has a 3-light window on first floor within coved eaves, and C19 square bay window on ground floor. Left-hand wing has a 2-light window on first floor and a 3-light window on ground floor with bottom-hinged folding shutter. On the right is a 4-centred arched door to the cross passage with old plank door. 3 large, plain jetty brackets. Right hand wing has a 2-light window on first floor, and a 3-light window on ground floor with similar shutter; and a 4-centred arched door with chamfered frame and a C20 plank door. 3 large jetty brackets. South gable has some replacement timbers. North gable adjoins Bell Cottage listed separately (20/5). Interior: fine timber frame exposed with heavy section timbers. Cross passage has two, 4-centred arched openings to former service wing which is now in part a cellar. Chamfered joists with chamfers and plain stops inserted probably C16, within former hall. C17 panelling in ground floor of right hand wing, which also contains a window with diamond mullions and transoms, moulded on the inside. Behind the C19 bay window in the centre is another older window with a shutter groove. Redundant crown post roof, with side purlins and wind braces, and smoke-blackened timbers over former hall. All the posts have large jowls and there are large tension braces on the first floor.

V.C.H., Vol.III, p.179, B.O.E.(Berkshire), p.251.

Listing NGR: SU8296876910

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40988

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 179
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 251

End of official listing