OLD SCHOOL ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135935

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOL ROOM, CHEW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOL ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 13:23:17.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOL ROOM, CHEW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chew Magna

National Grid Reference: ST 57673 63160

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. CHEW STREET (north side)

3/23 Old School Room (formerly The 21.9.60 Church House)

II*

Church house, now in public use, formerly used as school. c1510, with later alterations. Coursed sandstone rubble, limestone dressings and long and short quoins, double Roman tiled roof with raised coped verges and kneelers. Rectangular plan. 2 storeys, west front has gable end, central moulded 4-centred arched door opening, C19 door with raised fillets, ogee hood mould with finial, one window each side of door and 3 above, all 2-light leaded casements with moulded stone mullions and hood moulds, 4-centred arched heads except central upper window which has cusped lights, carved shield of arms over door, glazed single lancet in gable with small carved figure above (St. George and the dragon). North elevation has external stair supported by 2 octagonal piers and end rubble wall, leading to 2 chamfered 4-centred arched door openings at upper level, 3 similar door openings to ground floor, blocked to right; 4 windows per floor, similar stone mullioned casements, alternate windows having 4-centred and cusped lights, one bay to right of stair, 3 to left, coved eaves cornice, pair of polygonal stone stacks rising from eaves. South elevation has 2 blocked doors to left and two 2-light 4-centred arched windows to right, first floor has two 2-light windows to left with 4-centred arched heads, 3-light window, two 2-light and one 3-light to right, 3-light windows being wooden replacements, stack rising from eaves to left. Rear has large cusped C19 window in gable end lighting former school-room, very large quoin blocks. Interior: ground floor has possible quoin stones in south wall, only visible on interior, timber lintels remaining north and south from former door openings, very large lintel across whole east wall with stone jambs for fireplace, possible smoke chamber above. At first floor, fine 11-bay roof with principal rafters, arched braces, cambered collars, 2 rows of purlins and ridge purlin, curved windbraces in lower tier, cornice joining arched- braces, collars tenoned into arched-braces. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5768063169

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32917

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing