ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL WOKEFIELD PARK WOKEFIELD PARK (ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135957

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL

Statutory Address: WOKEFIELD PARK

Statutory Address: WOKEFIELD PARK (ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL)

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL
WOKEFIELD PARK
WOKEFIELD PARK (ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:08:34.

Location

Statutory Address: ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL

Statutory Address: WOKEFIELD PARK

Statutory Address: WOKEFIELD PARK (ST BENEDICT'S SCHOOL)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wokefield

National Grid Reference: SU 67331 65687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOKEFIELD WOKEFIELD SU 66 NE 4/1 Wokefield Park (St. Benedict's School) 14.4.67 - II* House, now comunity home. Early C18 with early C19 additions, probably Circa 1900 refacing, circa 1900 internal alterations, and mid C20 additions to east and west. Rendered with hipped slate roofs. Central 3 storey, 7 bay block and 2 bay wings with 2 storey, 2 bay linking blocks. Plinth, rusticated quoins, plat band, frieze and cornice above first floor, balustraded parapet, with urns over recessed bays, and 8 stacks. 19 bays with second, third, seventh, eighth, twelfth, thirteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth projecting. Glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves. C20 casements on ground floor in first bay from right and in central second floor bay. First floor blank windows in sixth bay from left. Paired central 3-fielded panelled doors with pain architrave, keystone, and bracketed cornice. 5 bay Doric porte cochere with fluted columns, triglyph frieze and cornice. C20 additions set back to left and right. Garden front: similar; glazing bar sashes, some with serrated blind boxes. Ground floor left-hand bay blank. Projecting enclosed porch in central bay with Doric pilasters supporting entablature and triangular pediment, two 3-panelled doors with top panels glazed, rectangular overlight with semicircular overlight above, and architrave with imposts and keystone. Left-hand block: rendered with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys with partly rusticated plinth, raised quoins plat band cornice and remains of balustraded parapet. 4 bays, glazing bar sashes with fluted architraves. 3 bay side elevations. Interior: largely circa 1900 in a free early C18 style. Entrance hall: black and white flagged floor, panelling, panelled plaster ceiling, corridor arch to west and 2 staircase hall arches to east, with Ionic pilasters; central door to south with architrave, pulvinated frieze and broken triangular pediment; fireplace with 2 Corinthian columns supporting entablature; draught lobby with 2 half glazed doors,Corinthian pilasters, cornice and lugged panelled sides. Staircase Hall: 3 bay Ionic screen with fluted columns and egg and dart cornice; 3-flight square well staircase with twisted balusters, central carved balustrade panelling on each flight, and wainscot panelling. North- west ground floor room: panelled; fireplace with copper hood and glazed tiles. Central southern ground floor room: panelled plaster ceiling; doorcases with segmental pediments; Jacobean-style chimneypiece with arcaded panelling, Corinthian columns, and fireplace with copper hood and ceramic tiles. South- east ground floor room: wall plasterwork with plaques and delicate plaster ceiling; doors with lugged architraves, doorcase to west with large segmental pediment. First floor: central corridor with wall plaques and oval light- wells to second floor at each end, now blocked. Very complete Circa 1900 interior. The house was owned by the Palmer family at the end of the C19 and the beginning of the C20. Landscaped grounds with lake to south. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, p.422, B.0.E. (Berks), p.230.

Listing NGR: SU6733165687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40053

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 422
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 230

End of official listing