TOMB OF JOHN BASSETT, CIRCA 8 METRES NORTH OF WEST BAY OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135982
Date first listed:
28-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
TOMB OF JOHN BASSETT, CIRCA 8 METRES NORTH OF WEST BAY OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB OF JOHN BASSETT, CIRCA 8 METRES NORTH OF WEST BAY OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 19:55:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOMB OF JOHN BASSETT, CIRCA 8 METRES NORTH OF WEST BAY OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Malpas
National Grid Reference:
SJ4862247200

Details

SJ 44 NE 2/32

MALPAS C.P. CHURCH STREET (North Side)

Tomb of John Bassett, circa 8 metres north of west bay of Nave of Church of St.Oswald. II

GV

Tomb, 1847, of John Bassett, excise man, of red sandstone. Table tomb; the slab is weathered to each side, with shallow hips; moulded corner stones; each end panel has a raised oval motif with radial mouldings; the panel to each side has a semi-circular recess with a rose in a circlet sunk in each spandrel; the southern side bears the following inscriptions: in the recess "To the memory of JOHN BASSETT ESQUIRE COLLECTOR OF HER MAJESTY'S EXCISE FOR THE CHESTER COLLECTION who departed this life at MALPAS on the 8th May 1847 aged 58 years"; within the perimeter of the recess "Erected by the Officers of the Chester Collection"; above the recess "As a mark of respect".

Listing NGR: SJ 48622 47200

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00321/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geraint Wyn Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].