CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135983

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:32:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Arborfield and Newland

National Grid Reference: SU 75797 67815

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARBORFIELD AND NEWLAND CHURCH LANE SU 76 NE (north side)

9/16 Church of St. Bartholomew

26.1.67 II

Parish church. 1863 by J.A. Picton in Early Decorated style to replace earlier church now ruined and listed separately (8/3). Flint with stone dressings, fishscale tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles. 5-bay nave, aspidal chancel, west tower and broached spire, gabled porch entry on south at west end. Buttressed walls, diagonal buttressed to chancel and tower; 2-light reticulated traceried windows. Tower in 3 stages, 3-light traceried window on west front, 2-light similar windows on second stage and 2-light openings with boarded infill at bell-stage. Interior: contains some fittings and monuments from old church; C18 turned baluster altar rails, and wooden vase shaped font. Glass:- Head of Aaron, 1744, by John Rowell of Reading in head of window south single light window in nave, second bay from west end, remaining stained glass in chancel and 4 nave windows is C19. Monuments:- in north aisle to Sir William Standen died 1639, and his wife Mary Backhouse of Swallowfield. 2 recumbent alabaster effigies on a black marble altar top with a small daughter at their feet, leaning on a stall and holding a cartouche of arms. The south side has 4 Doric columns supporting top with panels between, the outer with a coat of arms, the centre with inscription. On west wall to Edwardus Standen, 1750; an inscription panel flanked by fluted pilasters supporting a cornice broken forward over pilasters, flanking urns and central cartouche of arms. A small brass to Thomas Howard, 1643 above 2 incised slate tablets; one to the wife of Rev. H. Hodgekinson 1804; the other to the Reverend Henry Hodgekinson, 1839. E.O.E. (Berkshire) p.66. V.C.H. Vol.III p.202.

Listing NGR: SU7579767815

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41415

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 202
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 66

End of official listing