ST MICHAEL'S HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136012

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 02-May-1989

Statutory Address: ST MICHAEL'S HALL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MICHAEL'S HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:12:47.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MICHAEL'S HALL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bray

National Grid Reference: SU9017079732

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 9079 22/6 25.3.55

BRAY CHURCH LANE (north side, off) St Michael's Hall (formerly listed as the Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin) (converted later into Masters House)

G.V. II

Chantry chapel of St Mary the Virgin, now church meeting rooms. Probably dates from late C13, altered early C17, restored C19. Flint with old tile gabled roof. Long rectangular plan. One storey. Small ridge chimney with clay pots. 2-stage angled buttresses at each corner. South front: irregular. 2 square-headed doorways with restored stone dressings; the westernmost has an early C17 panelled door. Between the doorways is a lancet window with C19 stonework. Set between the western doorway and the window is a sculptured stone with the figure of a bull. The east and west gable ends have C19, 3-light plate traceried windows with pointed heads. Interior: divided into 2 rooms of unequal size, when the building was turned into a schoolhouse in the early C17, by a brick chimney stack with 2 fireplaces back to back. wooden barrel roof, boarded over with moulded wooden cornice at wall plate level. VCH (Vol. III), p.109, B.O.E. (Berkshire), p.100

Listing NGR: SU9017079732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41025

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 109
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 100

End of official listing