BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136049

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, TUNBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 10:58:23.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, TUNBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chew Magna

National Grid Reference: ST 57665 63036

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. TUNBRIDGE ROAD (west side) 3/59 Baptist Chapel

II

Baptist chapel. Dated 1867 with later additions of 1887. Snecked sandstone and limestone rubble, limestone dressings, brick, double Roman tiled roofs with raised coped verges and kneelers. Rectangular chapel with hall attached to rear. North elevation has pointed arched door in moulded architrave, hood mould with rosettes and mask stops, stone plate tracery and quatrefoil in upper section of door; large octofoil window above in plain surround with relieving arch, datestone above and finial to gable; long and short quoins, band course ramped up to window and returned under eaves to sides. 4-bay east elevation has round- headed plate-glass sashes with margin glazing, band course below cills, returned band course forms corbel table with corbels, plinth; heads of windows in banded limestone and sandstone. To left, single storey connecting wing with parapet and coping, door with shouldered architrave, relieving arch and keystone, round- headed sash with banded head and keystone; 2nd connecting block to left has similar door and round-headed window with ventilation louvres, limestone parapet with recessed panels and coping. 2-storey hall to left in snecked rock-faced limestone rubble has gable end to east with 2 tall lancets and bargeboards, dated foundation stones and central datestone. Left return of hall has 3 large 4-pane lights in plain architraves, rear of hall has 2 lancets as on front. West elevation of chapel has 4 similar round-headed windows with brick heads, no band courses; single storey lean-to to right with 2 doors and plate-glass sash. Interior: balustraded dais at south end of chapel with twisted balusters; original wooden pews.

Listing NGR: ST5766563036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32954

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing