Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136069

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: LYEGROVE HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of LYEGROVE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:41:01.


Statutory Address: LYEGROVE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sodbury

National Grid Reference: ST 77645 81674


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST 78 SE SODBURY LYEGROVE 2/117 17.9.52 Lyegrove House GV II*

Early C17; east wing late C18, altered in late C19, and restored in 1927 by G H Kitchin for the Earl of Westmorland.

Rendered. Cotswold stone tiled roof. Two storeys and attics in 4 curvilinear gables (probably late C19). Four windows, glazing bar sashes under string courses/dripmoulds on ground and first floor. Projecting central porch with Tuscan columns on pedestals, entablature and balustraded parapet; dated 1927 over door. Shields in gables carry Westmorland arms (1927).

Late C18 2-storey east wing with balustraded parapet (1927). Five windows with glazing bar sashes (3 are double height lighting the drawing room). Projecting bay/porch, balustraded parapet. To the rear of adjoining the east wing is a range of offices around a courtyard, formerly for domestic/storage purposes, servants quarters and a nursery.

Interior: In staircase hall: a C17 style staircase assembled from C17 parts by Kitchin. Renaissance fireplace, dated 1633, said to hae been brought from Little Sodbury Manor with initials ESa (Edward and Ann Stephens) and TS, ES and IS (Thomas, Edward and James Stephens).

Drawing room in late C18 east wing has good carved, pine fireplace. See also:

Country Life 14.12.29.

Listing NGR: ST7764581674


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34166

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 14 December, (1929)

End of official listing