CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136127

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 20:34:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hinton Charterhouse

National Grid Reference: ST 77655 58308

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE

11/114 Church of St John the Baptist 1.2.56

G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, altered early-mid C13 and extended by south chapel and porch; tower restored 1770; north aisle of 1825; restored 1846 by Edward Davis of Bath and windows restored in 1897. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch, and chancel. Rubble and coursed rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate roof. Late C12 or early C13 broad west tower of 3 stages, the upper being C18, unbuttressed with small lancet windows and quoins to the lower stages and Gothick style Y-tracery to the bell chamber; embattled parapet and moulded cornice; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window and doorway. North aisle of four (1897) Perpendicular style windows under square hoodmoulds. Projecting, gabled south porch; the outer doorway has a moulded arch with a fillet, and stiff- leaf corbels, chamfered outer surround and a hood mould on carved head stops. South chapel: one plain lancet window in a deep embrasure and one 2-light late C13 style window with cusped lancets and a quatrefoil; 3-light east window with lancets to the outer lights and a trefoil to the centre. Chancel: one 2-light window with plain lancets and an unfoiled circle above and cusped rere-arch; a smaller 2-light window with cusped lancets and a sexfoil above; priest's door under an arched head and in a heavy outer moulding; C19 Geometric style east win- dow. Interior: 2 bay arcade with continuous chamfered arches to south chapel. Triple chamfered tower arch. 3 bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal piers. Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C12 tub shaped bowl enriched with a zig-zag moulding at the top. Monuments. Funeral hatchment in north aisle; and baroque style monument to Robert Painter, died 1735, fluted pilasters, gad- rooned bases, cherubs on plinth and heavily moulded cornice. Tower: John and Margaret Shutt, died 1668, inscribed plaque with memento mori tablet above. South chapel: Walter Robinson, died 1737, large tablet of grey marbles, inscribed plaque with pedimented top and side consoles: Painter family, 1809, coloured marbles, weeping woman and an urn. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)

Listing NGR: ST7765558308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32516

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing