This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HINTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HINTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136140

Location

HINTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hinton Charterhouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32520

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE

11/118 Hinton House 1.2.56 G.V. II*

Country house, now with 3 service flats. Circa 1700, altered later in C18; altered and enlarged in 1947-50s by Manners and Gill of Bath. Ashlar with hipped slate roof behind a balustraded parapet with pedestals; urns on the end pedestals; moul- ded eaves cornice and ashlar stacks. 2 storeys, on a moulded plinth and attics. 2:3:2 bays with French quoins at the ends. The centre 3 bays are slightly advan- ced and surmounted by a pediment which has a central oval plaque. Glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves under arabesque decorated friezes, and pedi- ments on the ground floor (alternate ones are open); moulded cills on brackets. Central panelled door; Ionic porch with open pediment and central cartouche - moved from the east elevation in the 1850s. 2 windows with 18-pane, thick glazing bar sash windows and in bolection moulded surrounds on west elevation. Set back 2 storey, 2 bay wing at left with a conservatory extending from it: the conserva- tory has a 6-bay arcade of Tuscan columns, glazed doors under fanlights, moulded and coped parapet. The east side of the house was the original front: 2:6:2 bays, the outer parts being c.1700 and having blocked glazing bar sash windows in bolec- tion moulded surrounds. The 6-bay centre of the 1850s has French quoins and glaz- ing bar sash windows in moulded architraves and under decorative friezes and pedi- ments. 4-bay service wing to north. Interior: Mostly mid-C19 but some late C18 plasterwork survives. Large open staircase with decorative cast-iron balustrade and square lantern. The house is thought to occupy the site of a monastic grange and to have been first constructed in 1701.

Listing NGR: ST7751658380

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77516 58380

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:46:29.

End of official listing