THE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136149

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: THE SCHOOL, HYDE END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 14:30:11.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SCHOOL, HYDE END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shinfield

National Grid Reference: SU 73345 67716

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHINFIELD HYDE END ROAD SU 76 NW (west side) Schoolgreen

8/30 The School 26.1.67 GV II

School. Dated 1707, extended C19 altered C20. Built by Richard Piggott, Master Cutler of London. Brick, tiled hipped, gabled and coped gabled roofs of varying heights. Irregular plan. One and 2 storeys, and 2 storeys with attics. Road front: C18 part in centre with brick plinth, first floor string, moulded, modillioned wood cornice, flanking chimneys either side of hipped roof; 2 hipped dormers with 2-light leaded casements. 4 bays of 4-light wood mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights and central half glazed double door in early C19 door case of reeded pilasters and small reeded cornice. Stone panel with inscription and date over door. Flanking on either side are two C19 additions. To the left a hall in brick with stone dressings. 3 stone cross windows with leaded lights and one of 6-lights; and a stone panel with inscription and 1889 date between 1 and 2 windows on left. To the right a brick and stone coped gable with stringcourse, 2 wooden cross windows with leaded lights; a clock in the gable and an arched bellcote above with pedimented top, housing 3 bells. Between the stringcourse and the clock there is a stone panel with inscription and 1860 date. To the right of this, is a single storey classroom with 3 bays of 2-light windows with stone mullions and dressings and leaded lights. VCH Vol 3 p 261 BOE (Berkshire) p 216.

Listing NGR: SU7334567716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41464

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 261
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 216

End of official listing