BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1136159
Date first listed:
03-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136159.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 23:57:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUNBURY ALDERSEY SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bunbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 56214 57982

Details

SJ 55 NE BUNBURY C.P. SCHOOL LANE

2/25 Bunbury Aldersey School

II

Formerly Grammar School for boys, 1874 (on entrance porch) by J Douglas, now primary school. The Grammar School replaced a school, near the church, which was founded by Thomas Aldersey in 1594. Red brick with slate roof, in Gothic style, single storey, 5 bays. Deep chamfered sandstone plinth. Projecting entrance bay has vertical panelled, studdied door, with false strap hinges in stone dressed opening with Tudor arch and ogee hood mould. This is surmounted by the date and shields with the inscriptions "Alnus semper floreat" and "serve and obey", these within a gabled apex with stone coping and finial. Metal fixed lights in stone mullion and transome windows with cusped heads and transome lights leaded. Large double transome multi-light windows to west and east gables. Terra cotta eaves dentil course supporting moulded cast iron gutter. Mid-roof lucarnes, with twin lancet openings and octagonal slate clad turret. Stone copings and finials to east and west gables. Interior: Hall roof has elaborate trusses with brackets to collar purlin and 4 posts above the beam. The ceiling is boarded. Plaques on gate refer to the Haberdashers Company, who own the school. Thomas Aldersey was a member of the Haberdashers Company.



Listing NGR: SJ5621457982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56784
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04241/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Howard W Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].