Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136164

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 12:48:08.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nempnett Thrubwell

National Grid Reference: ST 53283 60400


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/90 Church of St. Mary 21.9.60 G.V. II*

Parish church. C12 origin, C15, chancel and vestry of 1897. Limestone rubble with stone dressings, tower of squared rubble, chancel and vestry in ashlar, east wall of chancel and whole vestry in sandstone, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials to gables, some double Roman tiles. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. Part of Norman style south doorway remaining, Perpendicular style, neo-Decorated style chancel and vestry. 3-stage tower has pointed arched west door in moulded and hollow-chamfered surround with hood mould and stops, 3-light Perpendicular window above with cusped heads and hood mould, 2nd stage has south lancet with cusped head and hood mould, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-opening to each side with Somerset tracery, pointed arched heads and hood mould; plinth, set-back weathered buttresses, string courses, gargoyles to top string, parapet with blank arcading, diagonal shafts to centre of sides and square pinnacles at corners; south-east stair turret has lancets, embattled parapet with quatrefoil frieze, ribbed spirelet with cockerel weathervane. 2-bay nave has to north 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and narrow 2-light window with cusped heads in Decorated style, set in rectangular surround with masonry infilling upper part, rubble lean-to in centre with double Roman tiled roof; hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, rainwater head dated 1897, dressed stone quoins and stone ridge coping; south elevation has similar 3-light window and remains of memorial tablet to left, C19 restoration of 3-light Perpendicular window to right and C18 memorial tablet with bolection-moulded architrave, scallop- shell frieze and cornice. Off-centre gabled porch has pointed arched door with moulded and hollow-chamfered surround and hood mould, late C19 doors. 2-bay chancel has south west stair turret with gabletted top, weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses, two 2-light south windows with reticulated tracery and stopped hood moulds, similar larger 3-light east window, trefoil in gable and small pinnacles to sides-of verges. 2-bay vestry has two 2-light east windows with trefoil heads and hood mould, similar 2-light window to north and west, segmental-headed west door. Interior: tower has C19 ceiling with moulded ribs, narrow door with chamfered depressed 4-centred arch to tower, tall pointed arch to nave with onebroad wave-mould and 2 inner narrow mouldings. Nave has 5-bay wagon roof, moulded principals rising from head corbels with large gold-painted bosses along moulded ridge purlin; north wall has remains of arched recess below window to east, possibly former site of tomb, north west window has chamfered rere-arch, north east and south west windows have moulded surrounds; inner segmental head to south door, upper part filled with Perpendicular tracery and C19 doors, door has outer surround of 2 narrow wave-moulds and hollow chamfer, 4-centred arch, stone benches to sides of porch and C19 roof of common rafters and collars. Tall pointed chancel arch with panelled soffit, chancel has ceiled 4-bay roof, moulded ribs with bosses at intersections, brattished wall-plate; stone newel stair to south west leading to gallery over screen, piscina in east wall, segmental-headed arch with wave-mouldings to vestry; vestry has similar 3-bay ceiled roof. Fittings: font in nave has circular bowl on circular stem, close early C16 tracery on the bowl and small naively-carved demi-figures, fined carved polygonal wooden cover; screen across chancel arch, attributed to Pugin (probably the younger) has 4-light divisions, flamboyant tracery, coving with ribs, angel- figures against the main posts; pair of late C17/early C18 sanctuary chairs in chancel with scrolled carving; C19 panelled wooden reredos; late C19 stone tablet in vestry recording rectors. Monuments all re-set in vestry, marble tablet with urn, to John Hellier, 1795; marble tablet with draped urn and pediment, to James Hellier, 1776; C19 oval stone tablet with wreath, to Hellier family, date illegible; marble tablet, to Henry Hellier, 1775; stone tablet with scrolled pediment, to Thomas Beale, 1704; C19 brass plate recording members of Hellier family. Mid C19 east window has stained glass in memory of Hellier family. (Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5328360400


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32985

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing