THE MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136190

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1976

Statutory Address: THE MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS, EARLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:24:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS, EARLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 70670 55787

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE EARLE STREET

2/45 The Municipal Buildings

6.7.76

GV II Council Offices, 1902-1905 by H T Hare in English Baroque style. Yellow sandstone ashlar with stone slate gable roof. 2½ storeys and basement, 5 bays. 3 centre bays recessed for 2 storeys, flanked and separated by giant unfluted Ionic columns. Small Tuscan column mullions to ground floor windows, in outer bays. Deeply recessed semi-circular headed entrance with wrought iron gates and oak screen with double doors. This is flanked by timber mullion and centre-arched transome windows with matching archivolts and cartouche keystones. Pairs of large reclining figures, carved in relief by F.E.E.Schenck, surmount the three centre openings. Cross windows with stone eared architraves at first floor level and segmental bracketted balconies to outer bays. Dentilled and bracketted eaves cornice. Dormer windows to second floor centre bays with small pediments above and fronted by balustraded parapet. End bay windows are bullseyes with egg and dart and festoon treatment. Copings to gables, stone chimneys and cupola with vane and locomotive finial. Interior: Tuscan columns in entrance hall, York stone geometrical staircase, marble Ionic columns and a window in Venetian style in the Council Chamber. Hardwood doors, in elaborate frames, and plasterwork based on festoons and egg and dart moulds.

Listing NGR: SJ7067055787

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56688

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing