CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1136242
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHESTER ROAD A41

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 20:10:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHESTER ROAD A41

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tushingham cum Grindley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52235 46443

Details

TUSHINGHAM CUM GRINDLEY C.P. CHESTER ROAD A41 SJ 54 NW (East side) 3/79 Church of St Chad 1/3/1967 II

Church 1860-63 by Robert Jennings of Atherstone, with west tower 1897 by Hodgson Fowler; of red sandstone with grey slate roofs. Cruciform; 3-stage tower; aisleless 3-bay nave with south porch; l-bay transepts; 2-bay chancel; sacristy in corner of chancel and north transept. The crenelated tower of coursed tooled masonry is Perpendicular with octagonal north-west turret, panel tracery in west window of 3 lights and bell openings of 2 lights, St Chad in niche on south side of lower stage and 1-light trefoil-headed window in north and south sides to bellringers' chamber. The body of the church of random rubble, Early English, has lancet windows with hoodmoulds on stiff-leaf corbels, square buttresses and coped gables with kneelers and finials. Interior: Plastered with stone dressings. Chancel arch with half-octagon responds; transept arches with half-round responds; encaustic tile floor. Arch-braced nave roof; braced collar trusses to chancel roof. Memorials and commemoration windows to members of Kenyon and Vaudrey families, died 1866 to 1917; north window of north transept in memory of Catherine Elizabeth Kenyon, widow of Hon.Edward Kenyon, given by her brother in 1904 - vigorously expressed. Octagonal font on colonnettes in west tower baptistry.

Listing NGR: SJ5223746444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55622
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].