This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1136276

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Woodley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41494

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODLEY CHURCH ROAD (west side) SU 77 SE 5/40 Church of St. John the 26.1.67 Evangelist

G.V. II*

Parish Church. 1873 by H. Woodyer. Flint with stone dressings and tile gabled roof. 4 bay nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch in the westernmost bay of the nave with a large 2-tier stone bellcote above. Windows diamond leaded, lancet on north aisle, 3-light in nave, 2-light stained glass in chancel, all in plate tracery. Interior:- North arcade of circular columns with moulded capitals, tall stone tripartite chancel screen with moulded capitals to slim columns, and delicate low wrought iron screen. Stone octagonal pulpit with base of moulded arches and colonnettes. Stone font with similar base. Arched braced collar roof trusses on corbel brackets, with side purlins, king posts and wind braces, those in the chancel cusped. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.311. V.C.H. p.222.

Listing NGR: SU7683973692

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 222
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 311

National Grid Reference: SU 76839 73692

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:20:32.

End of official listing