CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136291

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:10:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chacewater

National Grid Reference: SW 75025 44219

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHACEWATER

1044/5/55 CHACEWATER 15-NOV-93 CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL HOUSE

II National School and schoolhouse built originally in 1848 (PRO) was altered and enlarged in 1861, 1878/9 and 1896/7. The first north western extension was added by William White in 1861, the south western extension was added by James Hicks in 1878/9 and finally the further extensions to the north western wing were the responsibility of Silvanus Trevail who prepared his designs in 1896. The school was transferred to the School Board in 1876. Elvan ashlar to front with granite window frames and mullions, otherwise killas rubble with some freestone and granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with crested clay ridge tiles. Rendered brick axial stacks flanking schoolhouse and stone lateral stack of 1861 to rear wing south wall to east end. Tudor style. Originally a symmetrical plan of central 2-room 2-storey schoolhouse to north and boys schoolroom to south and with gable roofed porch at each end. Girls schoolroom porch removed and rear wing added 1861; further wider wing added to rear of boys schoolroom for Infants and small wing in angle between 1861 wing and schoolhouse in 1878/9 and further classroom for boys added to west of 1861 wing and girls classroom added to west of adjoining wing in 1896/7. Single storey except for 2-storey schoolhouse. Symmetrical east front of 3:1:3 bays. Continuous plinth. Central coped gable ended projection of schoolhouse with datestone 1847 surmounted by bellcote. Cusped kneelers. Ground floor has central canted bay window with flat roof and 2-light window with hoodmould over. Both with central mullions removed when present circa early C20 glazing inserted. Each schoolroom has central narrow window originally with central mullion and flanking wider windows retain central mullions but intermediate mullions removed. Original porch survives to south end but north porch replaced 1861 by 2-light freestone window with cusped lights, plate tracery and pointed hoodmould. Similar window to gable end of 1861 wing. Interior roof mostly obscured but scissor trusses to 1863 wing. Schoolhouse interior has open beams.

Sources PRO and CRO. CRO ASRP 13/4 School Board Minutes CRO AD396/39/5

Listing NGR: SW7502944230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63149

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing