CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136393

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:29:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Publow

National Grid Reference: ST 61825 63694

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 66 SW PUBLOW CHURCH STREET, Pensford (south side) 6/189 Church of St. Thomas a Becket G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C14 tower, the rest of the church rebuilt in 1869 by C.E. Giles of Taunton. Consists of west tower, nave and north porch, south aisle and south porch, and chancel. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings to the tower; coursed sandstone rubble to the remainder with ashlar bands and dressings, slate roofs. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, pyramidal slate roof set back behind embattled parapet, the merlons of which are pierced with cross-loops; projecting polygonal stair tower at south-east; 2-light bell chamber windows with cusped heads and pierced stone grille; blocked west door in moulded and pointed surround and restored 3-light west window. The body of the church has a mixture of Decorated style windows with buttresses between the bays. North and south gabled projecting porches and short east end. Interior. Tierceron vault to tower with central open roundel for bell ropes. Scissor braced rafters with crown post on tie beam between nave and chancel. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6182563694

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32618

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing