This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONSOLIDATED MINES, ENGINE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONSOLIDATED MINES, ENGINE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136409

Location

CONSOLIDATED MINES, ENGINE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Gwennap

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWENNAP SW 74 SW 4/94 Consolidated Mines, Engine House 21.11.85 GV II Beam engine house ruin. Circa early C19. Killas rubble with granite voussoirs, some jambstones, and lintel to ground floor, east, otherwise wooden lintels and wooden bearing pads for floors. Rectangular plan with thicker bob wall to north, surviving to full 2 floor height, formerly timber studded gable over. Originally with 3 floors. South wall partly built into bank is mostly fallen. West wall ½ fallen. East wall survives at north end to full 3 floor height, with 1 window to ground floor, right and 2 windows to first floor (left window blocked). Bob wall has arched ground floor opening with dressed granite jambstones and voussoirs. Designed for load bearing, outer half of doorway is narrower with segmental arch and projecting keystone. Inner half of doorway, also with abutment, has complete round-headed arch. (Compare east engine house of Cusvey Mine qv). Timber floor bearing pads over. Detached chimney to south at higher level, (separate item). Part of the Consols Mine which was Cornwall's most productive mine in the early C19. From 1823 to 1825 the Consolidated Mines produced 12½% of the total copper of Great Britain, and 15-25% of the Cornish total. Extract from History of Gwennap by C.C. James.

Listing NGR: SW7455242092

Selected Sources

Books and journals
James, C C , A History of the Parish of Gwennap in Cornwall

National Grid Reference: SW7455242092

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:15:44.

End of official listing