STOKE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136505

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: STOKE COTTAGE, MILL POOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOKE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 07:42:53.

Location

Statutory Address: STOKE COTTAGE, MILL POOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stoke

National Grid Reference: SJ 61345 56536

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE C.P. MILL POOL LANE SJ 65 NW 1/88 Stoke Cottage - - II

Cottage, early C18, with large 1856 addition (date on porch) at the rear (north-west). Brickwork with coloured surface treatment; slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. The rear addition forms a 2-span roof and a 3-bay wing (north-east) completes an "L" shaped plan. The cottage entrance is a pair of three-quarter-glazed doors, with diminished stiles and bead and flush lower panels, in a twin pilaster beaded door case. A flat, lead-covered, porch is supported by two slender timber columns. The porch is flanked by ogee bow windows containing two-light Gothick casements with intersecting tracery. There are similar windows at first floor level. Wide plastered soffites, with large spandrel boxed ends, and barge boards. Gable end stacks with diagonally set flues. The gables of the 1856 addition project beyond the cottage at both ends and the east gable has a projecting porch with Tudor arches south and east. The porch contains a 9-panel bolection moulded door with rectangular overlight. A rectangular stone tablet above the east opening of the porch has the initials FFC and the date. The windows in the east gable and rear wing are mainly sashes with stone sills, deep lintels with stepped labels, single vertical glazing bars and cusped tracery to heads. The west gable has two "Y" tracery windows and a large canted bay. Interior: The entrance hall has a plaster modillion cornice with two lines of egg and dart moulding. The cottage ceilings are low with cased beams. There are 6-panel doors in the cottage area, 4-panel and ledged and battened doors in the later additions. The staircase has cut and bracketed string, curtail step, square balusters and wreathed handrail. There is an original C19 cast iron grate in the kitchen.

Listing NGR: SJ6134556536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56999

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing