Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136547.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:06:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Hinton Blewett
National Grid Reference:
ST 59429 56972



5/83 Church of St. Margaret


Anglican parish church. C13 with C15 west tower rebuilt in 1780s, 1553 north aisle and 1928 restoration. Squared and coursed rubble to nave, chancel and south porch, random rubble to tower with ashlar dressings to parapet; stone dressings, quoins, copings, lead roof to nave, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south wall has two 3 cusped light Perpendicular windows with flat hoodmoulds. Chancel south wall has a 2-light Perpendicular window with flat hoodmould, a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and C20 plank door and a 3 ogee-headed-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould. Coat of arms of Simon Seward (Rector 1514-1559) over doorway. Pointed headed Perpendicular east window with hoodmould and next to this an early C17 wall monument with pulvinated frieze. Tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, polygonal north east corner embattled stair turret and pierced quatrefoil parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has a complexly moulded pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and C20 plank door. Above this a 3-light chamfered mullioned window with flat hoodmould under flush relieving arch. Moulded stringcourses to 1st and 2nd stages, 2 chamfered light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing under hoodmoulds. North aisle has 6 Perpendicular windows of 3 cusped lights with quatrefoils above under flat hoodmoulds. Gabled south porch with 2-leaf C18 plank gates, stone benches to either wall, richly moulded C13 pointed headed doorway with hoodmould and face stops and a pointed headed water stoup to right hand. Interior. Nave has unusual 4-bay 1553 arcade giving onto north aisle with hollow chamfered arches, necked capitals and piers of clustered shafts, quadrangular on plan. Triple chamfered tower arch, embattled wooden wall plate and C15 waggon roof with carved bosses. Rood loft stairway behind pulpit on south wall. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with dying imposts, combined trefoil headed aumbry and piscina on chancel south wall, C19 open rafter roof. North aisle has stone bench along north wall and coved plank roof on moulded transverse beams. Fittings. Nave has Norman font: waterleaf base to pillar, nebule frieze to cushion capital bowl; C15 benches with traceried ends and some fronts, 1638 pulpit and tester. Chancel has early C20 stained glass memorial east window. Further stained glass in north aisle east window. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5943256971


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/12193/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Merrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].