CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136564 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:43:29.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 64942 95232
ST 69 NW HILL
1/127 Church of St. Michael 30.3.60 G.V. II*
Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 tower, nave rebuilt 1759 by Sir Francis Fust, early C18 Fust mortuary chapel restored or rebuilt C19, restoration of chancel 1870 by Ewan Christian, porch rebuilt, buttresses added 1909 by William Weir and Temple Moore. Limestone and sandstone rubble, partly rendered, rock-faced rubble porch and buttresses, stone dressings, stone slated roof with weathered raised coped verges to-chancel and mortuary chapel with cross finial to chancel, coved wooden eaves cornice to nave. West tower, and vestry, nave, chancel with south mortuary chapel and porch. Early English style tower, chancel and chapel. 3-stage tower on plinth has 2-light west window with cusped tracery and hood mould at 1st stage, 2-light trefoil-headed window with bell louvres at 3rd stage at all sides, single light with trefoil head and stone bell louvres at 2nd stage south; stair turret to north west has lancets with ogee chamfered heads, pyramidal top, ribbed spire with finial and cockerel weathervane has small door with triangular head to north and lucarnes; freestone weathered angle buttresses and strings. 3-bay nave has 3 windows to north and 2 to south all with pointed segmental head all with square leaded lights, with hood moulds to north, and slightly narrower to north east, gabled porch in 2nd bay from left has finial and sundial above chamfered, round-headed opening, double door with segmental head, east gable has sanctus bellcote with cornice, ribbed spire and finial; coved wooden eaves cornice and buttresses. Single bay chancel has 2-light window to north, as at west end, 3-light east window with rosette stops to hood mould, weathered raised coped verges and cross finial, rainwater head dated 1870. Mortuary chapel has 2-light east window with hood mould and round stops, tracery as west window, weathered raised coped verges, south side has 2-light window with hood mould, pointed arched door with chamfered surround and hood mould, trefoil headed window with leaded lights, moulded surround and rosette stops to hood mould. Single storey vestry to south of tower has pointed arched door and pitched roof. Interior: tower has rib vault springing from corbels ornamented with ball-flower, west window in deep splayed reveal with double chamfered pointed arch, small studded door with strap hinges to tower in pointed double-chamfered arch, pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered arches. All nave windows in splayed reveals with slender hood mould and stops, south door has segmental head and same hood mould, plaster ceiling, high round- headed chancel arch in chamfered surround. Chancel has one C13 lancet with leaded lights to south, others restored 1870, 2-light to north and south, 3-light to east, all with inner chamfered segmental head, heavy plank door to mortuary chapel with strap hinges in plain frame, has coat of arms on shield, roof has 10 narrow bays, scissors trusses rising from moulded wall plate, nave and chancel have black and cream chequer tiled floor. Mortuary chapel has 2-light window to east and west as in chancel, single light to south with trefoil head, leaded lights and chamfered segmental head to inner arch, pointed arched plank door to south has chamfered pointed segmental head, black and white chequered marble floor, 5 bay wagon roof with arch-braces on corbels with shields to north, roof divided into 20 panels with moulded ribs and shield bosses. Fittings: Norman bowl font in tower, cut down c.1550 into a hexagon mounted on late Perpendicular moulded plinth. Oak pulpit dated 1629 in nave, on panelled plinth, has carving and sounding board. 2 lecterns with carved panels. C18 manor pew in nave with slender shafts to dentilled canopy. Early C16 pews in nave with rectangular ends carved with rosettes, fixed to moulded dado rail. 2 early C16 carvings in chancel, heraldic fragments of the Poyntz crest and rebus of Abbot Newland of Bristol. Painted panelling behind altar, 2 early C17 sanctuary chairs in carved oak, one in chancel, one in chapel, C17 panelled chest in chancel, some C18 panelling above altar in chapel. Monument in chancel to Lancelot Law, 1650, with Latin inscription; tablet over south nave door commemorating Sir Francis Fust's restoration of 1759. Nave has marble monument to Sir John Colt, 1845, with shield by Daw of Berkeley; marble monument to Flora Fust, 1841 by Payton of Bristol; marble monument with fluted pilasters to Elizabeth Hamilton, 1855, by Tyley of Bristol; elaborate marble monument with urns,mourning female, palm tree and shield to Francis Fust, 1779; marble monument to Thomas Hobby, 1781, by T. Paty of Bristol; marble monument to Sarah Jones, 1812, by Lancaster of Bristol. Ledger stone in porch, 1648 with worn inscription. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).
Listing NGR: ST6494295232
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing