THE ALMS COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136685

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: THE ALMS COTTAGES, 10 AND 12, SHEFFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ALMS COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 07:34:07.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ALMS COTTAGES, 10 AND 12, SHEFFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Clifton

National Grid Reference: TL 16385 38914

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1638 CLIFTON SHEFFORD ROAD 12/31

18.11.75 Nos. 10 and 12 (The Alms Cottages) /formerly listed as (Clifton Almshoused)/ II Pair of almshouses. Upened 1872. Door dripmoulds have inscriptions: "Gleaner & Sower", "Widows homes", a reference to 2 monthly magazines. The Little Gleaner for the Young and The Sower. The editor of these, the Rev. Septimus Sears (Minister of the Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel for 35 years from 1844), drew on the profits of the magazines to partly finance the building of the almshouses. Colourwashed brick, pyramidal clay tile roof. Small single- storeyed rectangular block with symmetrical facade. A large 4-light wood mullioned window with slender transom is flanked by doors of 6 vertical panels with pegged cover strips. Each opening has square label with inscription, that to window reading: "A judge of the widows is God in his Holy habitation". Central brick double ridge stack.

Listing NGR: TL1638538914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37817

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sears, Reverend S, The Little Gleaner for the Young
Sears, Reverend S, The Sower

End of official listing