This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136818

Location

TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Madron

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70456

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MADRON SW 43 SW 6/111 Trengwainton House - GV II Country house. On site of Tudor house. Part of front probably C18, remodelled circa 1810 for Sir Rose Price and extended probably early-mid C19. In 1881 (datestone on north front) the remains of the Tudor house and much of the C18 and early C19 work was demolished and rebuilt for the Bolitho family. Sundial on left-hand wall inscribed RO 1723. Granite ashlar front, some stucco mostly dressed granite brought to course and granite rubble with dressings. Parapets and some of the chimneys are limestone. Mostly hipped dry Delabole slate roofs with central valley. Plan: deep plan; probably C18 front wall and left hand wall of front left room, circa early to mid C19 rear service wings, otherwise rebuilt in 1881 (or possibly partly in 1897). 2 large reception rooms, with large C19 window bays projecting at the front, flanking former C18 entrance hall. Behind the right hand room is the C19 entrance hall with large entrance porch on the right side of the house. There are other reception rooms behind including 1 at left with canted bay and 1 at right with canted bay of 2 storeys. This large late C19 block is linked to earlier C19 wings at the rear including a kitchen and service accommodation. Classical style. Exterior: Mostly 2 storeys plus attics. Originally symmetrical 3:1:3 bay east front. Central entrance bay with late C19 distyle-in-antae Tuscan porch. Flanking bays are surmounted by triangular pediments which are supported on shallow pilasters, a balustraded parapet between the pediments. In front of the ground floor are large late C19 window bays with 3-light window, left, and pair of 2 light windows, right. Balconies with plain parapets over. Mullioned windows with transoms to ground floor, circa mid C19 Y-traceried sashes to first floor. Central window has wider elliptical arch, others are round-headed. French windows to the balconies inserted probably lat C19 to bays central to the pediments. North entrance front is probably 1881 except for 3 storey wing, far right, which has many original circa early or mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes and internal window shutters. The 1881 part has balustraded parapet, large Tuscan distyle-in-antae closed porch with central round-headed doorway towards left and 3 window canted bay, right. Mostly 12-pane horned sashes. South garden front has 2-3 storeys circa early-mid C19 wing left with many original hornless sashes and internal window shutters. Far right is the stuccoed return wall of the C18 house pierced with C19 and 020 windows. 4-bay middle of front is probably 1881 or 1897 with canted bay to ground floor right. Original horned sashes. Interior: not inspected. The C18 house was enlarged by Sir Rose Price, a West Indian sugar planter. In 1867 the property was bought by T S Bolitho, a banker, whose family had been involved in Cornish mining. The 1897 remodelling and extensions were carried out by his son T R Bolitho; the architect is not known. T R Bolitho and the head gardener, A Creek, with advice and help from J C Williams of Caerhays and P D Williams of Lanarth, created a new garden with shrubs from New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the Himalayas. In 1929 G Johnstone of Trewtihen and Lawrence Johnston of Hidcote offered Bolitho a share in Kingdon Ward's 1927-8 plant hunting expedition to Assam and Burma. Seeds collected on this expedition are the basis of the fine rhododendron collection at Trengwainton. Source: M Trinick, The National Trust's Cornish Gardens.

Listing NGR: SW4452431472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bolton, A T , The Architecture of Robert and James Adam 1758-94, (1922)
Trinick, M, Cornish Gardens

National Grid Reference: SW 44524 31472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:02:40.

End of official listing