This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SUMMERCLOSE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUMMERCLOSE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN

List entry Number: 1136862

Location

SUMMERCLOSE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Rainow

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NE RAINOW C.P. SALTERSFORD

3/151 Summerclose Farmhouse and attached barn

II

Farmhouse and attached barn: dated 1755. Washed coursed squared buff sandstone rubble, Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 2 stone chimneys. 2-storey, 3-bay front to house. Left end bay has 4-light chamfered stone-mullion windows. Right end bay has similar 3-light windows. Central bay has board door under rough stone lintel and date plaque reading JAB (for John Brocklehurst) 1755 above. To rear is a continuous outshut. Interior: Has a room to either side of central former passage with crude wooden spiral staircase in outshut. Chamfered ceiling beams with flat stops. In parlour fixed cupboards with re-used C17 panelling for doors and a 3-board door with iron-strap hinges.

To left is corn barn: mid C18 with roof raised and outshuts added early C20. Central cart entrance with wooden lintel and projecting rubble band above. Line of ventilation slots to the sides. Later rectangular openings. Interior: Roof trusses of tiebeam and collar, one with short diagonal struts.

A complete example of a building of C18 plan but using C17 style features as late as 1755. Compare with Lima Farmhouse and Lowerbrook farmhouse, Rainow (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ9805977850

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 98059 77850

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136862 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:49:20.

End of official listing