- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ACKLAM HALL, HALL DRIVE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136868.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 15:09:46.
- Statutory Address:
- ACKLAM HALL, HALL DRIVE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- NZ 48717 16980
MIDDLESBROUGH HALL DRIVE
NZ 41 NE (4816) (north side), Acklam.
3/40 Acklam Hall 25.lO.51 - I Manor house, c.1680 for Sir William Hustler. Extended 1845; refaced, attic-storey and stacks rebuilt, and porch, dining- room and kitchens added 1910/12 by W.H. Brierley (York). Converted to school 1935. Within partly moated site. Brick with sandstone dressings. Lakeland slate roofs; flat roof on dining room. U-plan. Palladian style, after Inigo Jones; with Jacobethan attic dormers. 2 storeys and attic; 7-bay entrance front, the 2nd and 6th bays slightly projecting. Central closed Ionic porch with fluted columns; panelled double doors in pilaster-and-archivolt surround with carved keystone; parapet with Hustler arms and enriched vases at ends. Renewed 24-pane sash windows in architraves under broken pediments alternately segmental. Raised aprons with enriched corbels between floors. Chamfered-rusticated quoins, moulded plinth and top entablature. Straight parapet with moulded copings, broken by 4 linked shaped-gabled dormers, with 3-light mullioned-and-transomed windows with leaded glazing. Square-section lead downpipes, with ornate brackets and hopper-heads. Enriched console kneelers, and banded-rusticated corniced end stacks with blind round-headed niches in returns. Projecting 1-storey, 3-bay right dining-room extension has banded rusticated clasping pilaster strips and slightly-projecting centre holding sash window in architrave, with enriched head under cornice hood. Flanking round-headed niches, under blind windows. Similar entablature and parapet with balustraded centre. House has one-bay returns with 2 mullioned attic windows. 6-bay rear left extension, the 2nd and 3rd bays projecting slightly under similar shaped gable. Similar windows and balustraded parapet. Dining room has similar one-bay left and 3-bay right returns. 8-bay right rear extension. 1912 1-storey, 5-bay scullery adjoins east side of rear extension. Bays, separated by pilasters, have raised panels, with tile-louvred vents and vesicas with glazing bars in raised gauged-brick surrounds, in alternate bays. Right end bay has mid-C20 door. Hipped roof. Right banded-rusticated elliptical-headed gateway, with keystone and pediment. INTERIOR : decorations of several periods, originally plain and subsequently enriched in C18 and C20. Hall has wood panelling of early C18 and heavily-ornamented panelled ceiling of 1912 by George Bankart (London). Smoking-room ceiling c.1740 with richly ornamented frieze, cornice and centre medallion. Boudoir: richly-carved wood fireplace and panelled walls; heavily-moulded coved cornice and geometric-panelled ceiling, with painting of cherub in deeply-recessed centre panel; all c.1730. 1912 dining room has enriched panelled walls, and ceiling similar to hall. Library : panelled, with garlanded Ionic pilasters, moulded door architraves and deeply-carved wood chimney piece, of early C18. Original ceiling of deeply-recessed panels of different shapes around a central octagon; similar octagon in extended bay (drawing room) with Royal arms dated 1684, Hustler arms and paintings in other panels. Broad ribs have foliage, flowers and suspended doves and griffins, reputedly by John Halbert 1684, but stylistically of early/mid C18. Original painted pine open-well staircase, with ball-and-artichoke finials to large square newel posts. Carved frieze on handrail and foliage garlands on rails, strings and newels. Similar carving on dado rails and pilasters corresponding to newels. Single and double spiral-twist balusters. Stair well runs up to roof : domed light with heavy borders and elaborate plasterwork dated 1683, with arms of Hustler, Savile and Osbaldeston. Groined vaulted corridors lead off on first floor. Lower 1-and 2-storey rear extensions and mid C20 classrooms adjoining east side and gateway, are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ4871716980
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing