GARDEN WALLS AT APPROXIMATELY 400 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136875

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALLS AT APPROXIMATELY 400 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARDEN WALLS AT APPROXIMATELY 400 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF TRENGWAINTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 20:14:52.

Location

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALLS AT APPROXIMATELY 400 METRES EAST SOUTH EAST OF TRENGWAINTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Madron

National Grid Reference: SW4504031271

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MADRON SW 43 SE 7/115 Garden walls at from approximately - 400 metres east south east of Trengwainton House GV II Garden walls, originally for kitchen gardens, later as nursery gardens and ornamental plants. 1814. Flemish bond brick with terracotta copings. Plan: planned range of 5 square gardens on sloping ground facing south and adjoining south of each enclosure another enclosure bordered by the drive and stream at the bottom. These kitchen garden walls were built in 1814 when Trengwainton House was enlarged by Sir Rose Price, a West Indian sugar planter. In 1867 the property was bought by T S Bolitho, a banker, whose family had been involved in Cornish mining. The 1897 remodelling and extensions were carried out by his son T R Bolitho; the architect is not known. T R Bolitho and the head gardener, A Creek, with advice and help from J C Williams of Caerhays and P D Williams of Lanarth, created a new garden with shrubs from New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the Himalayas. In 1929 G Johnstone of Trewtihen and Lawrence Johnston of Hidcote offered Bolitho a share in Kingdon Ward's 1927-8 plant hunting expedition to Assam and Burma. Seeds collected on this expedition are the basis of the fine rhododendron collection at Trengwainton. Source: M Trinick, The National Trust's Cornish Gardens.

Listing NGR: SW4504031271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70460

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Trinick, M, Cornish Gardens

End of official listing