CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1136925
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, MARKET SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 21:33:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, MARKET SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkby Stephen
National Grid Reference:
NY 77517 08821

Details

NY 7708 KIRKBY STEPHEN MARKET SQUARE (Off North Side)

9/19 Church of St Stephen 6.2.68 G.V. II*

Church of England (probably dedicated to more than one saint originally). Rebuilt c1230 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble and some ashlar; plinth (some parts moulded, some chamfered) and various types of buttressing. 7 bay nave has copper sheathed roofs with parapets. Early C16 3 storey west tower has west doorway with continuous chamfered jambs and pointed head in square frame incorporating coats of arms; 3-light window above. Each face has paired bell-openings of 2-lights under ogee gables. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. West wall to north aisle formed part of earlier, C12, building; north wall rebuilt 1871. North transept arm C13 with 2 partly original lancets and a C14 3-light window. Chapels to north and south, chancel and south transept arm all rebuilt 1847 (east end has steeply pitched graduated slate roof with low parapet, stone copings and apex cross). South aisle has four C15 windows with C19 tracery. South porch rebuilt 1871 but south door is early C15 with 2 continuous chamfered orders to jambs and pointed head; consecration cross to right-hand jamb. Internally, much of the original stonework has been reworked or replaced in the C19. Very tall tower arch. Both C13 nave arcades of drum piers on plinths survive (eastern bay narrower than rest) with moulded capitals carrying pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders; some painted decoration survives on south aisle face of the arches. C19 clerestory of 5 windows not aligned with bays. Very wide, low, pointed arch to east end of south aisle. Chancel incorporates C13 trefoil-headed piscina (with restored foliate decoration to bracket) and 3 seat C13 sedilia with gabled trefoiled heads. North chapel has late C16 altar tomb with effigies of 1st Lord Wharton and his 2 wives; children and coats of arms to sides and inscribed panel to end. South chapel has early C15 altar tomb with effigy of Knight (Sir Richard Musgrave, died 1409); C15 altar tomb to Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1464) in recess with foliate gable to south wall. Ornate pulpit constructed from various coloured marbles, c1871; probably a gift of the local Masonic Lodge. Loose fragments from earlier buildings on the site (displayed at west end of nave) include late C12 foliate and historiated capitals, fragments of Anglo-Danish crosses, and remains of a hogback gravestone. C18 sundial (with dated inscription) fitted externally on south side.

Listing NGR: NY7751708821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72978
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16780/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].