CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137007

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137007 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:02:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Bowness

National Grid Reference: NY 22376 62646

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 26 SW BOWNESS Bowness

2/17 Church of St Michael 11/4/67 II*

Church. C12 with C18 restoration and 1891 extensions. Coursed red and calciferous sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall) on chamfered plinth; extensions of dressed red sandstone on chamfered plinth; graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. 4-bay nave, south gabled porch, west open twin bellcote, C19 north transept: single-bay chancel under common roof, with C19 north vestry. Chamfered-surround south door; north door in moulded surround with carved stone leaf capitals. One blocked original lancet in south wall and similar window in north wall, others are C19 single and paired lancets. Chancel: 3-light C19 east and south windows, one original lancet between vestry and chancel. Norman font on 1848 shaft is octagonal at base of bowl and square at top: leaf decoration with beaded strips and stems. Bells now inside church are 1616 and medieval. C19 chancel arch. Early C20 furnishings and fittings.

Listing NGR: NY2237662646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71895

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing