COURT BARTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137024

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: COURT BARTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT BARTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:18:57.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT BARTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanreath

National Grid Reference: SX 18156 56795

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 NE LANREATH LANREATH

7/44 Court Barton Farmhouse (previously listed as Court) 27/8/52 GV II*

Farmhouse. Circa 1612 with later C17 wing to rear. Restored in 1899. Stone rubble with granite dressings. Rendered south-west gable end. Slate roof with gabled ends. Stone rubble stacks, 3 with moulded granite caps. Plan of original range, 2 rooms with axial stack (to former service rooms at lower end, right) which backs onto through-passage near centre with 2 storey gabled porch at front. Gable end stack and rear lateral stack to former hall at higher end left of through-passage. These 3 stacks have moulded granite caps. 2 rear wings forming U-shaped plan. Short wing at rear of former kitchen and service rooms, containing staircase, and extended further with gable end. Later C17 wing to rear of former hall, containing later kitchen interior remodelled in late C19 and with gabled 2 storey porch on outer (east) side. 2 storeys. Regular, 3-window range to front. Central gabled 2 storey porch with 4- centred arch with roll mould. Rectangular surround with hood moulds and drips and carved trefoils in spandrels. Inner door with wide 2-centred arch with roll mould. Rectangular frame with cavetto moulded jambs. Fenestration on left of porch higher than that on right. Window on ground floor of left-hand side partly restored with 6-light mullioned window with chamfered King mullions dividing the diamond leaded lights into pairs. Other mullions with cavetto mouldings. Hood mould and drips. To right of porch, ground floor 6-light mullioned window with chamfered King mullions. Hood mould and drips. Diamond leaded lights. Above, to left of porch, partly restored, 4-light mullioned window with central chamfered King mullion and diamond leads. Hood and drips. To right of porch wide 2-light mullion window (central King mullion) with diamond leads. Hood and drips. On first floor of porch 2-light mullioned window with chamfered jambs and diamond leads, hoods and drips. Narrow 1-light window in right-hand side. East rear wing, north-east elevation with 2 storey porch supported by 2 large round granite columns with round capitals and bases and square plinth with double 2- light mullioned window with 2-light mullions on sides. Below porch, 3-centred chamfered arch with 2-light mullioned window to left and above. To right of porch, 2-light mullion windows on ground and first floor and 3-light mullion windows to left on ground and first floor. South-west elevations of west wing with scattered fenestration with four 2- light mullion windows, including a restored (C19) window on the ground floor. South-east gable ends of 2 wings with blocked entrance in left-hand wing and large projecting stepped stack on right-hand wing. Courtyard enclosed by rubble wall linking 2 rear wings with reused 3-centred chamfered arch. Rear of main range has elliptical arch to rear of cross passage with 2-light mullion window and 3-light mullion window above. Short rear projecting wing under gable roof on south has chamfered corner and 2-light mullion windows on ground and first floor. Cellar to south-east with lower eaves and 3-centred chamfered arched opening on right. 3-square windows with granite surrounds renewed. Rear wall of kitchen wing partly rebuilt with slight projection to base of stack. 3-centred chamfered arch on ground floor. Scattered fenestration with three 2-light mullion windows. Interior: through passage and floor of porch with pebbled floor. Step up to room on left, probably originally the hall. Large granite fireplace on south-east wall with granite shallow elliptical arch with granite lintel with moulded triangle above, cavetto moulded jambs. On right of through passage, 2 wide doorways with moulded timber frames. Wide framed staircase to rear. C17 parlour on first floor partly restored in 1899. Fireplace with restored 4-centred granite arch flanked by elaborate carved oak herms supporting a decoratively carved overmantle with lunettes, 3 round arches with carved pilasters and decorated spandrels with elaborate heraldic shields within the arches. C17 oak panelling continues around the room, divided by Ionic pilasters and surmounted by elaborately carved panels with rectangular surrounds enclosing decorated round arches on carved pilasters. Frieze continuing around room has floral trail with heraldic shields of the Grylls family. Panels flanking the 2 mullion windows with herms and elaborate carving. 6 panel door with heraldic arms and 'C S 1879'. Later timber band at cornice level and plain ceiling. Upper rooms and roof space not inspected. Originally the seat of the Grylls. Monuments to Grylls family in Lanreath Church (qv Lanreath Church).

Source: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889. H. Lander House and Cottage Interiors, 1982, illustrations pp 51, 92

Listing NGR: SX1795157066

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60547

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lander, H , House and Cottage Interiors, (1982), 51 92
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)

End of official listing