PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137110

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:15.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wickwar

National Grid Reference: ST 72348 88921

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7288 WICKWAR CHURCH LANE

9/150 Parish Church of the Holy 3.3.61 Trinity G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, extensively remodelled C14 and C15 and restored c.1881 by W.L. Bernard. West tower; nave; north aisle and north chapel; south porch; chancel. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, ashlar tower; tiled roof behind embattled parapets to nave and north aisle. West tower: C14, 3 stages with diagonal buttresses which have attached pinnacles on the off-sets; panelled embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles; polygonal stair turret on north east corner; 3-light openings to the bell chamber with transoms, reticulated tracery and pierced stonework; image niches on each elevation of the 2nd stage; 2-light west window and west doorway with enriched spandrels. Nave: three 2-light square headed Perpendicular style windows under dripmoulds with square stops, cusped heads to tracery; remains of projecting rood stair turret; projecting gargoyles. South porch: embattled parapet; heavily moulded doorway. North aisle: 1881; four Perpendicular style 3-light windows with cusped heads to the tracery and 4-centred heads under dripmoulds. North chapel: 1881; projecting organ chamber of 1929 has inset on the north wall a figure of St. John the Baptist set under a 4-centred head and dated 1496 with an inscription which reads: "STE. JOHES BAPTISTA", over the image and, "IN THE YERE OF OURE LORDS GOD M.CCC. III SCORE XVI. TRINITE MONDAY XXII DAY OF MAY" (removed from the nearby, demolished, Pool House). Chancel: 1881; 2-light Perpendicular style windows; 3-light east window with the datestone 1749 over. Interior. 4 bay arcade of 1881 of attached shafts with a hollow moulding; C19 Perpendicular style roofs. Chancel arch 1881. Fine fan vault to the tower. Pulpit: Jacobean, polygonal on a C19 ashlar base. Font: Perpendicular, octagonal with a quatrefoil bowl. Monuments. Chancel: William Giles, 1750, baroque coloured and white marbles, pilasters, and swan neck pediment with an urn finial; Purnell funeral hatchment, 1743, restored; draped marble plaque to Mary Worrall, 1694; Hobbs, 1740, coloured marbles, heraldry under broken pediment with urn finial; William Worrall, 1735. Nave: William Hobbs, 1860, Gothic by Wood of Bristol; Stokes, 1773, classical marble tablet with an urn; John Purnell, 1726, baroque tablet of coloured marbles with an open pediment, urn finial and obelisk background. North aisle: Spert, 1638, plain tablet; Thomas Stokes, 1762 by W. Paty of Bristol, coloured marble; Elizabeth Yate, 1721, baroque tablet with cherubs and skill; J. Hickes, 1739, classical marble tablet; John Summer, 1763, classical ashlar with fluted pilasters and pediment. Brass chandelier of 1728 in the chancel; on of c.1920 in the north aisle. Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, the Vale and Forest of Dean, 1970.

Listing NGR: ST7234888921

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34773

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing