CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137112

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 03:56:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland (District Authority)

Parish: Distington

National Grid Reference: NY 00427 23600

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 02 SW DISTINGTON CHURCH ROAD (South side) Distington 2/20 Church of the Holy Spirit G.V. II

Parish Church, 1886 by Hay & Henderson replacing medieval church. Snecked rubble with quoins on chamfered plinth; stepped buttressing. Steeply pitched graduated slate roofs with stone copings, kneelers, and apex crosses; decorative ridge tiles. Corniced stone octagonal chimney to north side of chancel. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel with low tower offset to south. 3 lancets to west end with cinquefoil above. South porch, with moulded, pointed arch, in 2nd bay from west. Paired lancet aisle windows; plate traceried nave clerestory windows each 3 quatrefoils under pointed containing arch. Lancets to north side of chancel, 3-stage tower (incorporating vestry) to south; east window 5 stepped lancets with nook shafts. Interior: Pointed nave arcade carried on polished granite piers with foliate capitals (carved 1897). Roof trusses spring from corbels; decorative tie-beams. Moulded chancel arch on corbels. 3-seater sedilia with piscina and aumbry in chancel. Ornate altar carved with interlaced arcading and angels in niches. Polygonal pulpit carved with scenes from Bible. Bowl-shaped marble font on pillar at west end; octagonal stone font from earlier church dated 1662. Stained glass by Powell & Co.

Listing NGR: NY0042723600

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 76116

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing