Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137137

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:46:02.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Walton-in-Gordano

National Grid Reference: ST 42515 73137


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side) ST 47 SW 3/125 Church of St. Paul - II Parish church. 1839 on site of possibly earlier secular building. Rubble, snecked in chancel, limestone dressings, squared freestone porch, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials. North west tower, nave, north porch, chancel with north and south transepts. Early English style. 3-stage tower, stepped at each stage, has trefoil-headed lancet at first and 2nd stage west, 3rd stage has similar openings with bell-louvres, to south a smaller lancet at 2nd and 3rd stage, to north 2nd stage lancet and 3rd stage clock dated 1897, saddleback roof with gable ends east and west, plinth. 2-bay nave has 2 north lancets with hood mould, south has lancet and paired lancet in flat stone surround with quatrefoil above, tall paired lancet to west with circle above and quatrefoil in gable end. Gabled porch at west end of nave has pointed arched opening in hollow chamfered surround, quatrefoil above, possibly re-used earlier stonework, stone benches to sides and pointed arched inner door, surround of 2 convex-moulded orders with broach stops; brattished wall-plate, principal rafters and ridge purlin; double door with raised fillets and strap hinges, possibly re-used. Chancel has 3 lancets to east, central one taller, in plain surrounds and quatrefoil in gable; north and south transepts have widened lancet with hood mould and stops in gable end, small lean-to to side of north transept. Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, principal rafters, cambered collars, 2 rows of purlins; 2-light south window and east window possibly later with chamfered rere-arches, chamfered pointed arched door to tower; chancel arch formed by rib of ceiling supported on wooden shafts to sides, wagon roof to chancel of 9 bays, with moulded and painted ribs and ridge purlin, 3 similar bays over each transept and moulded wall-plate; east wall has cill string and string at imposts of lancets, trefoil-headed piscina to south. South transept used as vestry, north transept as organ chamber. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit; stone font in nave, octagonal, on octagonal stem with 4 stops to base, possibly resited. Stained glass in nave windows, dated 1873 to south and 1870 to north, similar glass in east lancets, possibly by the Rev. Rawden Hautenville, rector from 1866-80. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Collinson, J. : History and Antiquities of The County of Somerset vol. III 1791 records a church on this site C18).

Listing NGR: ST4251573137


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33788

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing