Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137170.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:40:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 52832 61027


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/11/2014

NY 5261 15/18

BRAMPTON, FRONT STREET (South side), Church of St Martin


Church replacing late C17 hospital, converted to chapel 1789. 1877-8 by Philip Webb (his only church), for George Howard (later 9th Earl of Carlisle) and other contributors, with tower completed 1906 also by Webb. Dressed red sandstone from Wetheral Quarry, graduated green slate roofs, lead spire. Square western tower with porch: 4 bay nave of almost square plan, with single bay chancel having 2 storey vestry to north and organ chamber to south. Tower has north entrance and slated open porch: 2-light west window in large niche with 2 small two-light baptistery windows below. Clock faces on all but south side. Recessed bell-openings have louvred vents. Gabled roof with shaped parapet. Short pointed spire has small gabled extensions to north and south. Nave has three 2-light north aisle windows with battlemented parapet and rising merlons with sloping tops. South aisle has round west window with tracery, small rectangular windows with alternating gabled stretches and 3 gabled clerestory dormers. Projecting organ chamber to south wall of chancel has 3 light Perpendicular window, with flanking buttresses and gables to west and east.

Interior has west narthex, acting as porch and baptistery, with access to nave through 2 arches, above which is a clear 4-light window, lit through room above by west window of tower. Nave has 4 pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. North aisle has painted wooden transverse tunnel vaulting, whilst south aisle has sloping painted wooden roof broken by clerestory dormers. Flat painted boarding to nave/chancel roof with fan coving above arch columns. North east war memorial chapel, with upper floor vestry, has altar panel by Byam Shaw and altar carpet to Morris design. Stained glass by Morris & Co, mostly to Burne-Jones designs. East window of 15 subjects as memorial to Charles Howard, 1880, has angels, saints, the Good Shepherd and pelican, mostly to original designs, whilst side windows are re-used designs. Free standing bust and wall plaque to Rev Thomas Ramshay, d.1840. C13 baluster font from Upper Denton Church. 3 grave slabs, medieval and early C18 from Brampton Old Church.

Listing NGR: NY5283061026

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16543/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Spence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrich[email protected].