OGBEARE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137225

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: OGBEARE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OGBEARE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 06:13:14.

Location

Statutory Address: OGBEARE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Tamerton

National Grid Reference: SX 30172 95936

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH TAMERTON SX 39 SW 8/19 Ogbeare Hall

29.9.61 II*

Country house now in use as old peoples home. The C15 great hall is all that survives of what must have been a large medieval house. The hall has been extensively restored and encased in a large late C19 house. (Recently restored and enlarged according to 1883 Kellys Directory). Stone rubble with granite dressings and slate roof with gabled ends. The C15 hall faces east with a lateral stack rising from the front wall with set-offs and a moulded granite cap. To right large 4-light hall window with elliptically arched lights, hollow chamfered and with roll-moulded King Mullion and hood mould with carved stops. Set back to left of stack a tall 2-light window with roll-moulded elliptically arched lights and hood mould with carved stops. Similar window to gallery over screens passage doorway on left with moulded elliptical arch outer arch with hood mould and four-centred inner arch with carved spandrels and tympanum with armorial device. The hall is encased on north, south and west sides in a late C19 gothic style gabled house of 2-storeys with stone mullion windows and a 3-storeyed tower with a pyramidal roof, in an angle over the entrance porch which has a chamfered Tudor arch. The service wing of the late C19 house, to the west, has been demolished. Interior of hall: roof appears to have been rebuilt but reusing carved arch braces and wall plate and carved bosses to intersecting wind bracing. The screen passage has gallery over, which is jettied into hall on carved bressuner. The screen is made up of reused timber with carved running foliage. The joists supporting the gallery over the screens passage are similarly carved. Large granite fireplace on front wall of hall has moulded elliptical arch, carved foliage spandrels and frieze of sunken quatrefoils above. Leonard Loves (died 1576), who was Elizabeth I's treasurer for Cornwall and Devon, lived at Ogbeare Hall in late C16. There is a memorial brass to him in the Church of St Denis, North Tamerton qv. Reference : Kelly's Directory, 1883.

Listing NGR: SX3017295936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67206

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1883)

End of official listing