CHURCH OF SAINT TOWENNAC

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137373

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT TOWENNAC, CHURCHTOWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT TOWENNAC
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:05:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT TOWENNAC, CHURCHTOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Towednack

National Grid Reference: SW 48697 38077

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOWEDNACK CHURCHTOWN, Towednack SW 43 NE 4/212 Church of Saint Towennac - 10.6.54 GV II* Parish church. Base of Norman font, C13 or C14 chancel arch and chancel, otherwise C15. Granite ashlar and some granite rubble. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends. C19 crested clay ridge tiles. Plan: nave rebuilt C15; chancel late C13 or early C14; C15 west tower; C15 south aisle and south porch. Windows and roofs replaced in the C19. Exterior: squat 2-stage embattled west tower with original doorway and window over and louvred 2-light windows to upper stage. Fat external stair turret to north east corner approached from doorway in nave. 4-centred arched south doorway, possibly reused pointed porch doorway with 1720 sundial over and basket arched north doorway. The C19 windows are 2 or 3-light with hoodmoulds and round-headed lights except for chancel east window with intersecting tracery within a pointed arch, possibly C19 copy of original window. Interior: C13 or C14 ordered pointed chancel arch, thick chancel walls: C13 piscina; C15 4-bay arcade with octagonal piers carrying 4-centred arches; circa 1500 4-centred tower arch with octagonal responds and basket-arched doorway of same date to tower stair. C19 waggon roofs. Plain plastered walls, possibly over old plaster. Fittings: Norman granite altar with incised crosses reinstated in 1934 (church guide); chevron-headed Norman base to octagonal font dated 1720 with initials WB and JR; 2 C15 carved oak bench ends reused to bench in the chancel; medieval incised cross shaft in porch, otherwise C19 or C20 fittings.

Listing NGR: SW4869738077

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70551

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing