CHURCH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137428

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:47:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Yatton

National Grid Reference: ST 43137 65457

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YATTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD (south side) ST 46 NW 5/153 Church House G.V. II Church house, later used as almshouses, now multiple accommodation. C15, built by the parish of Yatton and fully documented in churchwardens' accounts from 1446 onwards; substantial later alterations. Rubble, whitewashed, pantiled roof with raised coped verges and brick ridge and gable stacks. 2 storeys and 6 windows, all 2 and 3-light C20 casements, ground floor has 5 similar casements, off-centre brick C20 porch and door, blocked former opening to left and to right, under position of ridge stack, a blocked doorway with 4-centred arch and relieving arch; large quoins. Blank gable end to right, left return has blocked first floor opening with relieving arch, attached single storey C19 rubble building with trefoil in gable ends, door with straphinges, shouldered head and relieving arch to rear, rubble battlements and double Roman tiled roof. Rear has six 2-light casements at ground and first floor, arranged in pairs, central single light at first floor and single light 2nd from left at ground floor; to left, in corresponding position, remains of stone doorway and relieving arch. Interior: very heavy deep-chamfered beams at ground floor at first floor 2 curved feet of principals visible, rest of roof structure not accessible at time of survey. (Sources: extracts from churchwardens' accounts, 1446 onwards in Somerset Records Society vol. IV for 1890; full accounts in Somerset County Record Office).

Listing NGR: ST4313965459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33817

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Somerset Record Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Record Society, , Vol. 4, (1890)

End of official listing