This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED STORES TO NORTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED STORES TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1137509

Location

PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED STORES TO NORTH, A6

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beetham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 4979 BEETHAM A6 (off West side) Beetham

9/7 Parsonage Farmhouse and attached stores 21.11.52 to North

G.V. II

Farmhouse. Probably late C17 with later additions and extensions. South part appears to incorporate remains of medieval college demolished in 1756 (R.C.H.M.) of which blocked doorway in South wall is visible. Slobbered rubble walls with roughly-cut limestone quoins; graduated greenslate roof with stone ridge. 2 storeys plus attics. Main frontage in East gable: 4 windows, irregular, mostly C19 cross windows with leaded glazing. Off-centre boarded door. Ground-floor window to far right small-paned; attic window at top left trompe-l'oeil. Blocked medieval doorway in South wall has 2-centred head. Massive chimney with round shafts offset from ridge to South; single chimney in apex of East gable. Interior has 2 staircases, one with turned balusters and square newels; panelling to rear ground-floor drawing room; panelled partitions, one with initials and date R & IA 1661; cornices to upper-floor rooms; powder room backing onto landing. See also R.C.H.M. p.104, although part of the panelling described therein has since been removed.

Listing NGR: SD4964179605

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 49638 79610

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137509 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:50:15.

End of official listing