This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Copper Beeches and The Old Rectory

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Copper Beeches and The Old Rectory

List entry Number: 1137532

Location

Copper Beeches, 6, Rectory Road, Campton, SG17 5PF
The Old Rectory, 8, Rectory Road, Shefford, Campton, SG17 5PF

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Campton and Chicksands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37566

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/06/2018

TL 1238 10/12

CAMPTON RECTORY ROAD (North Side) No. 6, Copper Beeches and No 8, The Old Rectory

(Formerly listed as Copper Beeches and The Old Rectory, RECTORY ROAD)

16.1.52

GV II Former rectory, now divided into two properties. Circa 1700 with late C18 addition and refronting, and some alterations 1839 by John Woolfe jnr. for the Rev. E.R Williamson (Beds Record Office, X254/88). Red brick with hipped clay tile roofs.

Earliest block to east of two storeys, with addition to west and refronting to south, both of two storeys and attics. Front elevation: five window symmetrical facade, with first floor brick band and stone coped parapet. Ground and first floor windows are sashes (C19 replacements) under gauged brick flat arches. Attic has five hipped dormers with casements. Central front door of six moulded panels, flanked by sidelights and surmounted by semi-circular fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Set within gauged brick round- arched opening with painted impost bands and keystone. Red brick external stack to left hand. Red brick multiple stack to right hand, set into front slope of roof and probably part of earlier building.

Rear elevation: Left hand block is original structure, and retains three wood mullion and transom windows with leaded lights and flat arches. Blind windows to centre of first floor. Late C19 canted bay to right hand ground floor. Substantial external stack to left hand side. Right hand later block has fenestration similar to front elevation, and trelliswork verandah along ground floor. C20 flat-roofed addition to right hand side.

Listing NGR: TL1293238110

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL1293238110

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:28:34.

End of official listing