This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL

List entry Number: 1137540

Location

CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL, THORNTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Middlesbrough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stainton and Thornton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59845

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINTON AND THORNTON ROAD, NZ 41 SE (4814) THORNTON east side. 5/123 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. 23.6.66 G.V. II*. Church, C13, with C15 tower and north transept; nave largely rebuilt c.1800 and altered 1897. Chancel rebuilt 1876; late C19 vestry. Restored and roofs renewed 1902. Dressed sandstone; Welsh slate roofs. West tower on nave, north transept and higher chancel with north vestry. Tower has paired cusped, louvred bell openings with stone transoms. Embattled parapet with squat ogee-domed finials at angles. 1935 3-light west window,with cusped heads and hoodmould with scrolled stops,above C18 round-headed doorway. Boarded and studded double doors with scrolled strap hinges, in chamfered and roll-moulded surround under hoodmould. 3-bay nave has original C13 chamfered plinth, and 1897 windows with Decorated-style tracery under hoodmoulds. Similar north window. String course below straight parapet with chamfered and roll-moulded copings. Stepped-gabled transept on C13 or earlier foundation. Late C19 panel-tracery north window and basket-headed west window with 2 trefoil-headed lights. Hoodmoulds, the north with carved stops; carved mask above west window. Similar parapet; cross finial; and stack, with round shaft, in angle between transept and chancel. 3-bay chancel has angle buttresses and chevron-moulded steeply-battered buttresses between the bays. Central boarded south door in roll-moulded surround, under hoodmould continued as sill string. Plate tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Chevron-moulded band below gable with cross finial. Several fragments of medieval and Saxon carved stones, and 2 trefoil-headed windows, under hoodmoulds with masks stops, in north wall. Gabled north vestry with plate tracery. Large blind medieval plate-tracery quatrefoil, with flowers in spandrels and beaded hollow-chamfered surround, in gable. Iron square-section downpipes; chancel hopperheads ornamented and dated 1899. INTERIOR: early C13 chamfered chancel arch, on round responds with chamfered capitals and bases. Wide segmental-pointed transept arch on renewed corbels. Wainscoting to sill height in nave. Arched-braced collar-beam roof trusses, with kingposts and 4 levels of purlins, on stone corbels, collars strutted to purlins; bosses between braces. Embattled and moulded wall plate with carved bosses. Collar-beam trusses with bosses in transept. Chancel roof ceiled with wood boarding. 1907 Caen stone pulpit, on marble shafts,and similar carved painted octagonal font. Reredos of 1876 has 4 panels, with paintings of St. Peter, St. Paul and angels, flanking taller plain centre panel in gabled aedicule with cusped head, crockets and carved capitals; cresting over side panels and pinnacles at ends. Chancel panelling, c.1950 and organ case 1958, by Thompson (Kilburn). Marble wall monuments by Robert Taylor, in sanctuary; the north, to Mary Pennyman, d,1727, shouldered mount with arms in trefoil-headed crown, above flaming urn enriched with oak leaves, on plinth flanked by inverted volutes, and pedestal with epitaph on die; the south to Sir James Pennyman, 1745, a flat obelisk on 4 spheres and pedestal. Other good C18 and C19 wall monuments and tablets in chancel, including one on north wall, 1808 by A. Bennison (Hull). C14 effigy of male priest in south doorway.

Listing NGR: NZ4804314050

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 48043 14050

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:11:26.

End of official listing