This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SUNDIAL, MOUNTING STEPS, WALLS AND GATE ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH EAST OF MACQUARIE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUNDIAL, MOUNTING STEPS, WALLS AND GATE ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH EAST OF MACQUARIE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1137546

Location

SUNDIAL, MOUNTING STEPS, WALLS AND GATE ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH EAST OF MACQUARIE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Yatton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YATTON C.P. NORTH END ST 46 NW 5/185 Sundial, mounting steps, walls and gate about 6 metres south east of Macquarie Farmhouse - II Sundial dated 1657, mounting steps and walls of late C18/early C19, C19 gate. Limestone block with metal sundial set on top; rubble walls and steps to mounting block with pennant treads, cast iron gate. Block of limestone about 3/4 metre high, square base, has metal sundial with gnomon set on top, correctly aligned, circular plate with numerals incised and face of the sun, inscription: "I mark but ye sunny hours, 1657", in similar style to sundial at Nailsea Court, Nailsea (q.v.). About 1 metre south of sundial, 5 rubble steps to large top stand attached to rubble wall about one metre high and 4 metres long; cast iron gate to left has horizontal struts with circular decoration and spear tops, spear finials to top of gate; wall extends about 12 metres further to west to join Macquarie Farmhouse (q.v.) about 1 1/2 metres high.

Listing NGR: ST4228666422

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 42286 66422

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:47:48.

End of official listing