Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137564

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-1985



Ordnance survey map of CAMPTON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 06:39:56.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Campton and Chicksands

National Grid Reference: TL 12905 37988


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/14 16.1.52 Campton Manor (formerly listed as Manor House) - II*

House. Built c.1590 for the Ventris family. C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Close-studded timber frame with colourwashed plaster infill, rear elevation in red brick with flared header decoration. Clay tile roof. Hall and cross-wings, hall of 2 storeys, cross-wings of 2-storeys and attics. Front elevation: 3 small additional gabled projections to hall block, 2 storeyed, of later date. Of these LH one is in position of original front door, whilst central one, probably C18, contains present front door. Ground floor has paired sash windows to cross-wings and 2 sashes to hall, all with glazing bars. LH small gable has leaded single-light. First floor has sash window with glazing bars to each cross-wing, small single-light to LH small gable, 2 single-light casements with glazing bars to hall, and 4-light casement with glazing bars to central gable. Cross-wings have single leaded light to attic. Shallow C20 Tudor-arched porch addition to central gable. C20 door. Both cross-wings have substantial brick chimneys projecting from side elevations, RH one with diagonal stacks. LH cross-wing has later colourwashed rendered lean-to to side elevation. Rear elevation: refaced and extended C18 in red brick. Hall retains C16 projecting red brick stack, with C20 single-storeyed addition in front. 2-storeyed polygonal bay extension to LH cross-wing, rectangular 2-storeyed extension to RH cross-wing, and extensions to hall flanking-chimney, all C18. Variety of windows, mostly sashes with glazing bars, some original flush sashes. Central windows to LH polygonal bay and 2 doorways (with C20 glazed doors) to RH bay have semi- circular heads. These and flat heads to other windows of gauged brick. Cross-wing attics have 2-light casements with glazing bars. LH hall extension has 6-panel door in moulded surround with pediment on cut brackets. Moulded wood cornices. C19 2-storeyed block to RH end in similar style. Interior: hall retains original screen to E end with carved open strapwork cresting. To ground and first floor of hall are Tudor-arched moulded stone fireplaces, each surmounted by panelling (apparently imported from elsewhere). Ground floor fireplace incised "Robert Molar 1640". Ground floor rear room of W cross-wing retains original panelling with vine trail frieze and ornate carved fire surround. Painted plaque records unsuccessful attempt on life of Sir Charles Ventris in 1645. C18 panelling and fire surrounds in other rooms. C18 staircase W of hall fireplace.

Listing NGR: TL1290537988


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37568

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing